Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2008

Painted Flowers and an Unclaimed Ancestor!

jsch_paintedflowers_pre

The clock has been running fast again today...the hours have just flown by and yet an other day has gone. I am late posting..it's almost tomorrow!! All these photographs of flowers and nature recently have got to me...so today I decided to give you some painted flowers to add to your summer layouts. There are three of them and they work well even when used large, as in the preview, so I hope you can use them to make a few bouquets!

You can download the Painted Flowers here

At the moment my poor DH is chasing a huge moth around the hall. My son has not forgotten his recent spider episode with me, so he refused to move it. Mind you he hates them anyway and despite his brave face I think this one was too large for him anyway...don't tell him I said that!!

I was doing some research today and I really enjoyed myself. The gentleman I was searching for in the 1500's was from the top end of society..not like my lot who were still tugging their forelocks. This man was the sort of ancestor I would love...he left a paper trail that survives until the present day. He had a shady past and a bad end, his life was colourful to say the least!! It seems he was accused of misappropriating some money which was meant to go to the King in taxes and for a while he got away with it....then they spotted it!! But he appears to have tried to bluff it out......wrong, no one bluffed it out with the King or his Treasury!! From then on it was a slippery slope and he slide fast!

So, you can imagine...I was bursting to let my client know what detailed information I had found. Armed with stacks of copies of documents I rushed home to break the good news over the phone and transcribe the rest of them.

I personally always view ancestors that far back in time in a detached light, it's hard to pass judgement on a way of life that has long since gone and that we have never experienced. But it appears my client did not agree with this view point! She was horrified and acted as if I had informed her that her husband had just been found embezzling!! Oops, this was going to be tricky!!

I have to admit I was surprised...why get someone to do research  if you didn't want to know about them? But the lady stated it couldn't be her ancestor as she didn't have people like that in her family!! Clearly I must have the wrong one!!! Cheek..as if!!

So, I have just wasted almost a day and the bad thing is that I can't "adopt" her an ancestor,no matter how much she wants me to. But as she doesn't want him I can have an interesting time reading through the papers and filling in the gaps on what he got up to, lol! that is unless someone wants to "adopt" him, lol!

Now on to scrapping and news of an other freebie for you. I have the honour of having Kim of Kim's Scrapping on my CT, she is a wonderful friend and is talented both as a scrapper and a designer. Today Kim has put up her first Commercial Use freebie, some roses for you to recolour to fit your designs or layout. They look brilliant!

prevcuroses copy

Drop by Kim's Scrapping and if you want these great roses.

I surrender for tonight....I think I'll go to bed and read about embezzlement in the 1500's!! Lol! Have  a great day tomorrow and see you soon.

16 comments:

Cindyrelly said...

What a Funny Story :) I started to do some research on my ancestors a couple of years ago and then ended up starting over with raising babies when I turned 40! I didn't know that you do that sort of work... hmmm, possibly where you get some of your trivia? We are just back from swimming lessons and I had to go and drag Mishka out of the pool because all the other children were gone from the pool deck and her teacher was telling her to get out but she just held on to the wall SMILING and playing dumb! Talk about cheeky ;) I'll have to download the beautiful flowers tomorrow as my puters are all OFF except for this One in the Foyer. TTYS

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha...too funny. Lucky she doesn't live here in Australia....all us Anglo-Saxons are s'posed to have come from convict stock....how would she cope with that!!!!
Love the painted flowers....thankyou

Kathi B said...

That story is too funny. Like she has any control over who her ancestors really are.

Thanks for the fantastic flowers. I can't wait to give them a try.

Anonymous said...

Your job sounds soooooo interesting. Lucky you.
Love those flowers. :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so entertaining!! Loved reading the ancestor story - aren't some people funny!!

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous flowers.

tajicat said...

Great story! I love doing research, but no great stories have been found like that in my lines or dh's! Nothing like adding some "colorful" types to the family tree! Thanks so much for the goodies! :)

Maria said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 30 Jul [LA 12:00am, NY 02:00am, UK 07:00am, OZ 05:00pm]).

Sharon aka Scrapcat4914 said...

TY so very much for these BEAUTIFUL flowers!!!!!!!
On my way outside to finish mulching my driveway flower bed!!!!!
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patamomma said...

That's hilarious. My family couldn't have done that! Right. What family is pristine, and especially that far back. Goodness do you ever want to slap the person and say grow up? Hmmm, ok, that's my impatience showing through. Love the new blog look. Thanks for the great flowers. Patty

LindaJD said...

Hi June, love the tale, I would adopt him! I would love to have someone interesting to fall back on..lol
Thanks for the lovely flowers..I am sure I will put them to good use :)

MomSoto said...

They are lovely ! ! ! Thank you :) This freebie was just listed at Twisted Challenges Freebie Listing

Anonymous said...

Hello, thanks for sharing your talent. I purchased the Small Miracles kit, I'm not sure if it was from your blog or from your friend. Anyway, I hope the family is doing ok and back on their feet. :) I love your blog. I'm just starting with Digiscrapping and found your blog to be very helpful.

Dana O said...

That's so funny about the ancestor! I'm sure everyone has some skullduggery somewhere in their past! My aunt & cousin have done extensive research going back on my grandparents. After my grandparents died, when the relatives were sorting thru things they found a letter from my granpa's side of the family. It said "Is it true what they're saying about momma..., that she was an Indian??!!!"
They considered it shameful & were horrified!! And what a neat job you have!

Suz :) said...

You are long overdue for some of my...♥Link Love♥...! Thank you from the bottom of my heart…and may you have a suuuuuper great day!
Suz

Karla said...

That is so funny about the unwanted ancestor! I was once doing research for an elderly lady who was the youngest of five children from her parents' marriage to each other. Each parent had been previously widowed, and I soon discovered that not too long after her parents married, one of her father's daughters married one of her mother's sons. She immediately wanted to drop the research! I didn't see anything wrong with the marriage of the two young people. They had not been raised as siblings, and they may well have been in love before their respective parents married. But the elderly lady considered this shameful and didn't want anyone to know.

Bonnie said...

Thank you, these are so pretty!
I have some freebies on my blog too if you would like.